Various Artists Fabriclive 17: Aim
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Fabric
Aim (producer Andy Turner) was once photographed leaping from a dilapidated jetty in the pouring rain near his home in the UK's Lake District. It was an appropriately apposite image, locating Turner and his music outside of hip-hop's usual urban environment and obsessions. Turner bookends this adorable mix album with tracks from Grand Central label mates Tony D and Fingathing. In between, the DJ draws on melodic hip-hop and rare funk from the likes of The Village Callers, A Tribe Called Quest and Lewis Parker. But, nicely, Turner also underpins the set with a curious pastoralism, directing the mood via James Yorkston's rustic folk and Boards of Canada's bucolic electronica.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player