Various Artists FabricLive 33: Spank Rock
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Fabric
Spank Rock's edition of the now-famed FabricLive series is fine, fortified junk food for the soul. The B-More crew typically delivers hip-hop that sounds like it's powered by stolen streetlight electricity. This DJ mix enters an alternate universe where yuppie-rock classics by Yes and The Romantics click into post-DFA grooves and ride alongside reminders that electroclash didn't always curse the earth it walked upon (i.e. Miss Kittin's "Stock Exchange Woman"). The sleaze element is ripe here, but the impromptu raps that call for sing-alongs or brag about being badass sometimes upset the mix's flow: Such a sin befouls Kano's Italo-disco classic "I'm Ready." Otherwise, drink deep and don't drive.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player