Various Artists FabricLive 33: Spank Rock
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Fabric
Spank Rock's edition of the now-famed FabricLive series is fine, fortified junk food for the soul. The B-More crew typically delivers hip-hop that sounds like it's powered by stolen streetlight electricity. This DJ mix enters an alternate universe where yuppie-rock classics by Yes and The Romantics click into post-DFA grooves and ride alongside reminders that electroclash didn't always curse the earth it walked upon (i.e. Miss Kittin's "Stock Exchange Woman"). The sleaze element is ripe here, but the impromptu raps that call for sing-alongs or brag about being badass sometimes upset the mix's flow: Such a sin befouls Kano's Italo-disco classic "I'm Ready." Otherwise, drink deep and don't drive.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
XLR8R Downloads Player