Various Artists Far Out Bossa Nova
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Far Out
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
To celebrate Brazilian bossa nova’s half-century mark, Far Out has pulled from its massive catalog to showcase some of this predominantly acoustic tradition’s finest moments. The focus has always been on light, airy rhythms, simple but powerful guitar strums, and inspired vocal performances. Far Out has found great examples, especially in Clara Moreno’s “Meu Samba Torto,” which features the excellent guitar work of Celso Fonseca. Clara’s mother Joyce, an innovator in the field with over four decades of performing experience, contributes the piano-soaked “Rio Bahia.” Another exemplar moment is Arthur Verocai’s beautiful “Vilhos”; he focuses on simplicity for maximum effect–what’s made bossa nova so universally appealing all these years.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player