Various Artists Far Out Bossa Nova
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Far Out
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
To celebrate Brazilian bossa nova’s half-century mark, Far Out has pulled from its massive catalog to showcase some of this predominantly acoustic tradition’s finest moments. The focus has always been on light, airy rhythms, simple but powerful guitar strums, and inspired vocal performances. Far Out has found great examples, especially in Clara Moreno’s “Meu Samba Torto,” which features the excellent guitar work of Celso Fonseca. Clara’s mother Joyce, an innovator in the field with over four decades of performing experience, contributes the piano-soaked “Rio Bahia.” Another exemplar moment is Arthur Verocai’s beautiful “Vilhos”; he focuses on simplicity for maximum effect–what’s made bossa nova so universally appealing all these years.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player