Various Artists French Vanilla/Red Alert!
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: Greensleeves
Greensleeves' streak of fantastically creative rhythm albums continues with French Vanilla and Red Alert!. South Rakkas Crew's Red Alert! rhythm features a spring-loaded bounce, rave whistles and ascending synthesizer lines stolen straight from Orbital's laboratory. T.O.K. adds whirligig organs to create anthemic sing-a-along "Let it Shine," while Predator turns the rhythm darker with the computerized menace of "Mad Sick." French Vanilla is just as bright and upbeat, with acoustic guitars winding around backward drums and flutes. Wayne Marshall and Bling Dawg turn the rhythm into a double-time rhyme race, while Elephant Man and Assassin both opt for uncut hype.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
XLR8R Downloads Player