Various Artists Future Sounds of Jazz 9
- Words: Jesse Terry
- Label: Compost
The most admirable aspect of Compost's FSOJ series is its diversity; each installment delivers a different version of the shape of jazz to come. Packaged with a swanky 3-D cover (glasses included), number nine is relentlessly infectious. The alternate versions of musical reality range from a slightly neo-soul slant to airy downtempo, jazzy rides, uptempo broken beats and seriously soulful vocals. Ultimately, the album's mix of electronic and organic drums is what makes it special-it's like a musical cyborg built from the best scraps that jazz and electronic music have to offer. Every Compost release makes me want to run out and buy their next one.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player