Various Artists Get Up Stand Up-Jamaican Protest Songs
- Words: David Katz
- Label: Ras
Jamaican music has a long history of rebelliousness. In fact, much of the island‘s popular culture has always involved resistance-Jamaica is historically one of the most defiant nations in the world. Thematically, this introductory compilation mostly re-treads well-worn ground: Marley proclaims himself a "Soul Rebel," Dennis Brown demands "Revolution," Black Uhuru salutes "Solidarity" while Beres Hammond is "Putting Up Resistance." Surprisingly enough, newer tracks such as Bushman‘s deadpan take of John Lennon‘s "Working Class Hero" and Yvad‘s adaptation of Buffy St. Marie‘s "The Universal Soldier" actually add to the set‘s appeal.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player