Various Artists Greg Wilson: Credit to the Edit
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Tirk
Mr. Wilson is credited as one of the first DJs to import electro into the UK-namely through Madchester‘s feted Hacienda club where the seeds of rave culture grew in the sidewalk cracks. However, his fingerprints were best left every Wednesday at Legend where he helped solidify British black beat culture. Credit to the Edit is a fine snapshot of Wilson‘s sets from early to mid-‘80s, where disco went underground and became mechanized. Wilson traces the electro element of robo-funk with the likes of Kool & the Gang, Uncle Louie and Chic. Nowhere does the electro-disco connection positively hypnotize like Raw DMX‘s "Do It To The Funk." Oh, and Chaka Khan‘s "I Feel for You" kills 80% of today‘s glitch-hop scallywags dead.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player