Various Artists Greg Wilson: Credit to the Edit
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Tirk
Mr. Wilson is credited as one of the first DJs to import electro into the UK-namely through Madchester‘s feted Hacienda club where the seeds of rave culture grew in the sidewalk cracks. However, his fingerprints were best left every Wednesday at Legend where he helped solidify British black beat culture. Credit to the Edit is a fine snapshot of Wilson‘s sets from early to mid-‘80s, where disco went underground and became mechanized. Wilson traces the electro element of robo-funk with the likes of Kool & the Gang, Uncle Louie and Chic. Nowhere does the electro-disco connection positively hypnotize like Raw DMX‘s "Do It To The Funk." Oh, and Chaka Khan‘s "I Feel for You" kills 80% of today‘s glitch-hop scallywags dead.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- NewsListen to a New Track from Teebs' Upcoming Sophomore LP
XLR8R Downloads Player