Various Artists Grime 2
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Rephlex
The age-old compilation conundrum, not surprisingly of little concern to the headstrong Rephlex massive: to provide an overreaching summation of the matter at hand (London‘s grime scene) or to hyper focus the lens on atom-splitting specifics? Choosing the latter, a scant three artists showcase their bass (Kode 9, Loefah, and Digital Mystikz), all linked through their attentive awareness to the nuances of urban music and their seductively sly sublimation of those polished sounds. Jiggy Eastern-fetishizing hip-hop, smoooth acoustic guitar-strumming R&B, and the precision bass blasts of jungle all echo engrossingly throughout the nine tracks. As a scene-specific glimpse, conundrum solved. Verdict: essential.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player