Various Artists Grime 2
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Rephlex
The age-old compilation conundrum, not surprisingly of little concern to the headstrong Rephlex massive: to provide an overreaching summation of the matter at hand (London‘s grime scene) or to hyper focus the lens on atom-splitting specifics? Choosing the latter, a scant three artists showcase their bass (Kode 9, Loefah, and Digital Mystikz), all linked through their attentive awareness to the nuances of urban music and their seductively sly sublimation of those polished sounds. Jiggy Eastern-fetishizing hip-hop, smoooth acoustic guitar-strumming R&B, and the precision bass blasts of jungle all echo engrossingly throughout the nine tracks. As a scene-specific glimpse, conundrum solved. Verdict: essential.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player