Various Artists Grime 2
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Rephlex
The age-old compilation conundrum, not surprisingly of little concern to the headstrong Rephlex massive: to provide an overreaching summation of the matter at hand (London‘s grime scene) or to hyper focus the lens on atom-splitting specifics? Choosing the latter, a scant three artists showcase their bass (Kode 9, Loefah, and Digital Mystikz), all linked through their attentive awareness to the nuances of urban music and their seductively sly sublimation of those polished sounds. Jiggy Eastern-fetishizing hip-hop, smoooth acoustic guitar-strumming R&B, and the precision bass blasts of jungle all echo engrossingly throughout the nine tracks. As a scene-specific glimpse, conundrum solved. Verdict: essential.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Desto "Healing (Alternate Take)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player