Various Artists Grime 2
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Rephlex
The age-old compilation conundrum, not surprisingly of little concern to the headstrong Rephlex massive: to provide an overreaching summation of the matter at hand (London‘s grime scene) or to hyper focus the lens on atom-splitting specifics? Choosing the latter, a scant three artists showcase their bass (Kode 9, Loefah, and Digital Mystikz), all linked through their attentive awareness to the nuances of urban music and their seductively sly sublimation of those polished sounds. Jiggy Eastern-fetishizing hip-hop, smoooth acoustic guitar-strumming R&B, and the precision bass blasts of jungle all echo engrossingly throughout the nine tracks. As a scene-specific glimpse, conundrum solved. Verdict: essential.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player