Various Artists Hitek By Meteosound
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Meteosound
Meteosound equals clicks 'n' cuts production techniques applied to hip-hop and dub rhythm matrices. The 14 acts on Hitek By Meteosound apply fresh coats of sonic paint to houses showing wear and tear. Artists like Dabrye, Headset, Apparat (remixed by Monolake), and Andreas Tilliander engage in digital skullduggery with hip-hop's roots, and the DNA-tampering results in much tantalizing music. Dub-oriented cuts by Bus and Fenin dip into innocuousness, but they're the exception. More typical of Hitek is Thomas Fehlmann's sparse, processional ambient dub that's suffused in funereal ambience, spotlighting a compelling tension between heaviness and lightness.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player