Various Artists At Home In A Fragile State
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Slip ‘n‘ Slide
Fragile State-both the collaboration and the headspace-is the former project of Zero 7‘s Neil Cowley and producer/journalist Ben Mynott. Now Mynott goes solo with a home-listening compilation of largely unknown artists-a testament to the years Mynott spent as a music writer. His collection simultaneously mines the neo-lounge model and moves beyond it. Fragile State‘s influence wafts through the Rhodes keyboard lines of "Standstill" (from Zero 7-soundalikes Hardkandy) and the broken beat "Generations." But other tracks catch the ear pleasurably off guard: Digitone‘s eerie, crystalline "Seraphim," or "Sailor" by Hem, a teardrop-beautiful vocal lullaby that‘ll have you reaching for a cup of chamomile tea.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player