Various Artists At Home In A Fragile State
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Slip ‘n‘ Slide
Fragile State-both the collaboration and the headspace-is the former project of Zero 7‘s Neil Cowley and producer/journalist Ben Mynott. Now Mynott goes solo with a home-listening compilation of largely unknown artists-a testament to the years Mynott spent as a music writer. His collection simultaneously mines the neo-lounge model and moves beyond it. Fragile State‘s influence wafts through the Rhodes keyboard lines of "Standstill" (from Zero 7-soundalikes Hardkandy) and the broken beat "Generations." But other tracks catch the ear pleasurably off guard: Digitone‘s eerie, crystalline "Seraphim," or "Sailor" by Hem, a teardrop-beautiful vocal lullaby that‘ll have you reaching for a cup of chamomile tea.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player