Various Artists At Home In A Fragile State
- Words: Anna Balkrishna
- Label: Slip ‘n‘ Slide
Fragile State-both the collaboration and the headspace-is the former project of Zero 7‘s Neil Cowley and producer/journalist Ben Mynott. Now Mynott goes solo with a home-listening compilation of largely unknown artists-a testament to the years Mynott spent as a music writer. His collection simultaneously mines the neo-lounge model and moves beyond it. Fragile State‘s influence wafts through the Rhodes keyboard lines of "Standstill" (from Zero 7-soundalikes Hardkandy) and the broken beat "Generations." But other tracks catch the ear pleasurably off guard: Digitone‘s eerie, crystalline "Seraphim," or "Sailor" by Hem, a teardrop-beautiful vocal lullaby that‘ll have you reaching for a cup of chamomile tea.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player