Various Artists Horse Meat Disco
Jim Stanton and James Hillard are the founders of the weekly Horse Meat Disco party at London's Eagle club. On their debut mix, they serve up equal parts dust and glitter, seeing disco brightly though lessons learned from house and techno. Like Hercules & Love Affair, HMD has an ear for bright colors, melodic range, and clashing textures—the bassline on Karen Young's "Deetour" sounds flat like a jazz bass played through a cardboard amp, but the melody sprouts rainbows. Later tracks like Sheryl Lee Ralph's "In the Evening" and Fern Kinney's "Love Me Tonight" add more emotional heft for a roundly satisfying dose of nu-disco. Even better, Disc Two features most of the same tracks in unmixed form for all the disco trainspotters out there.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- FeatureGet Familiar: thePeople
XLR8R Downloads Player