Various Artists Ikebana: Merzbow's Amlux: Rebuilt, Reused And Recycled
- Words: Margaret Murray
- Label: Important Records
Frustration with re-writes, endless studio discussions about plot inscrutability, scathing art-versus-box office memos and glaringly unfavorable test screenings for his now-classic Red Badge of Courage allegedly caused director John Huston to throw up his hands and storm, "The people who will like this movie will like it because they recognize that it's a great film. Nothing we do will please the people who aren't disposed to it." Substitute Japanese extreme-noise godfather Merzbow for Huston, and you have the ideology behind this collection of stellar remixes by DJ Spooky, Staalplaat Sound System, Negativland, Luke Vibert and others. The remixers come together for one grand battle where aural art wins out over monetary concerns. Merzbow, undisputed master of grinding, shifting noise-scapes, and his Ikebana musical partners-some new, some frequent collaborators-display an intrinsic awareness of the melody beneath the noise, the order behind the chaos, and the foundation beneath the abstract.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player