Various Artists .Ilation
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Sonig
This latest compilation from Cologne's eccentric Sonig imprint might well be the experimental party record of the year. From the chopped-up tirade of Wevie de Crepon's opener, "Little Bug Eyed Boy," to Mouse on Mars's devastating, gabba-infused "Violilation," .ilation contains some insanely infectious examples of ebullient, fractured funk. There are certainly less resolutely hyperkinetic moments, as the sonic (play)ground constantly shifts beneath your feet in a pleasurably unnerving fashion. The Sonig label is well-known for its eclectic stable of artists and .ilation showcases this daunting array of talent in all its glory, featuring the quirky virtuosity of F.X. Randomiz and the grainy sonic ambiguities of Microstoria alongside the electro-acoustic experiments of Hajsch and the inspired looniness of Fan Club Orchestra. A mind-bending good time.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player