Various Artists .Ilation
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Sonig
This latest compilation from Cologne's eccentric Sonig imprint might well be the experimental party record of the year. From the chopped-up tirade of Wevie de Crepon's opener, "Little Bug Eyed Boy," to Mouse on Mars's devastating, gabba-infused "Violilation," .ilation contains some insanely infectious examples of ebullient, fractured funk. There are certainly less resolutely hyperkinetic moments, as the sonic (play)ground constantly shifts beneath your feet in a pleasurably unnerving fashion. The Sonig label is well-known for its eclectic stable of artists and .ilation showcases this daunting array of talent in all its glory, featuring the quirky virtuosity of F.X. Randomiz and the grainy sonic ambiguities of Microstoria alongside the electro-acoustic experiments of Hajsch and the inspired looniness of Fan Club Orchestra. A mind-bending good time.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player