Various Artists The Inspiring New Sounds of Rio de Janeiro
- Words: Eric K. Arnold
- Label: Verge
Although the country's best known for classic bossa nova and tropicalismo, in the past few years, Brazil's contingent of cutting-edge fusionistas has made it one of the most forward-thinking music scenes anywhere on the planet. The 13 servings of favela funk, South American reggae, and Portuguese-language rap on this compilation live up to its name-the sounds are both inspiring and new. Because it's Brazilian, the disc is super-melodic, kinda chill, and occasionally romantic, while tracks like A Filial's "Camila" offer an entirely fresh, globalized perspective on hip-hop-something jaded hipsters probably didn't think possible at this point.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player