Various Artists On Isolation
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Room40
Isolationist music stereotypically consists of drones and long silences that make the Earth feel like a lonelier and more desolate place. This compilation sometimes shatters those barriers. Janek Schaefer finds frolicsome bliss in rainbow-lit vibraphone tones, and Scanner brilliantly drenches a gentle piano ballad in rough wilderness noises. The conventional isolationist tracks make angst and claustrophobia oddly relaxing. Richard Chartier achieves a weightless drone that mimics fog passing by skyscrapers and David Toop's ominous bell tones and sparse Japanese flutes ballet-dance in blackness. Greg Davis' virtually silent recording of a farm reminds us how startling low volume can be.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player