Various Artists Japanese Avant-Garde
- Words: Matt Eberhart
- Label: Sub Rosa
Ken Burns has his Jazz. Then there's the For Dummies series. And we'd need another Alexandria library just to hold the plight of "Intro To"s and readers published daily. But listening to Sub Rosa's microcosmic sampling of the supernova that is Japan's avant-garde, one finds no gaps in a massive history that includes Merzbow's noise, So Takahashi's digitized ambient planes, Yoshio Machida's computer-age homage to classical Japanese composition and Sachiko M's experimental minimalism. Free improvisation and heavily controlled processing meet in tracks like Otomo Yoshide's post-noise critique, and the gorgeously illuminated carousel of Yoshihiro Hanno's Mutliphonic Ensemble brings a much lighter sound. With its filmmaker interviews and liner notes by David Toop, this is a cultural crossroads worth a thousand Guide Tos.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player