Various Artists Jazz in the House 11: Compiled and Mixed By Phil Asher
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: Slip'n'Slide
In a scene where compilations fall by the wayside, it's refreshing to see a series make it to their 11th installment. Kiss-100 DJ and producer Phil Asher (a.k.a. Focus) has selected a variety of underground staples and high-profile recent classics, which all find sanctuary under the banner of "jazz-influenced house." Although the Shelter Vocal of Mondo Grosso's "Star Suite" clocks in at nearly fifteen minutes, its distinctive Eastern flute, joyful keys and narrative guardian angel vocals justify its inclusion. Kenny Dope's remix of Nathan Haines featuring Shelley Nelson's "Believe" sees MAW's plumper half in fine form, with its unrivalled percussion, sentimental organ and dripping keys. Overall, some far reaching garage.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player