Various Artists Jazzanova...Mixing
- Words: Tim Collins
- Label: Sonar Kollectiv
DJs are only as good as the sum of their influences, and thankfully Jazzanova has many different inspirations to add up on their latest mix. Standard neo-and nu-jazz fare from Dimlite and Jill Scott start off the disc, but Jazzanova soon spikes the sauce, oozing the electric peanut-butter soul of Sirius Mo's "U-Again" into Carol Williams' disco-funk crooning. The mix is languid-sometimes tracks get a full seven minutes to stretch out-but nonetheless a delightful trip through unpredictable territory, melding forms of soul from the rather classic (such as At Jazz's predictably horny rework of Jazzanova's "Dance The Dance") to the modern, like the electro-house pulses of Slope's "Mousse (Get Down Mix)."
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player