Various Artists Jazzanova...Mixing
- Words: Tim Collins
- Label: Sonar Kollectiv
DJs are only as good as the sum of their influences, and thankfully Jazzanova has many different inspirations to add up on their latest mix. Standard neo-and nu-jazz fare from Dimlite and Jill Scott start off the disc, but Jazzanova soon spikes the sauce, oozing the electric peanut-butter soul of Sirius Mo's "U-Again" into Carol Williams' disco-funk crooning. The mix is languid-sometimes tracks get a full seven minutes to stretch out-but nonetheless a delightful trip through unpredictable territory, melding forms of soul from the rather classic (such as At Jazz's predictably horny rework of Jazzanova's "Dance The Dance") to the modern, like the electro-house pulses of Slope's "Mousse (Get Down Mix)."
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player