Various Artists Jazzanova...Mixing
- Words: Tim Collins
- Label: Sonar Kollectiv
DJs are only as good as the sum of their influences, and thankfully Jazzanova has many different inspirations to add up on their latest mix. Standard neo-and nu-jazz fare from Dimlite and Jill Scott start off the disc, but Jazzanova soon spikes the sauce, oozing the electric peanut-butter soul of Sirius Mo's "U-Again" into Carol Williams' disco-funk crooning. The mix is languid-sometimes tracks get a full seven minutes to stretch out-but nonetheless a delightful trip through unpredictable territory, melding forms of soul from the rather classic (such as At Jazz's predictably horny rework of Jazzanova's "Dance The Dance") to the modern, like the electro-house pulses of Slope's "Mousse (Get Down Mix)."
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player