Various Artists Joe Gibbs & the Professionals: NO BONES FOR THE DOGS
- Words: Matt Fisher
- Label: Pressure Sounds
Wow. There seems to be no end to buried Jamaican treasures. This latest "discovery" from Pressure Sounds is a nicely put-together selection of hard-to-find dub sides from Joe Gibbs's early productions. The 18 tracks on No Bones feature some of Jamaica's best session talent, including guitarist Fully Fullwood, riddim twins Sly and Robbie, drummer Horsemouth Wallace, guitarists Tony Chin and Bingy Bunny, and The Skatalites' sax man Tommy McCook, with Gibbs adding his trademark forcefield sound effects and studio cohort Errol Thompson's brilliant engineering. The range of styles is all over the place: some cuts, like "Burning Version," are deep, echoey affairs. Others are more whimsical, like "Informer Version," which layers effects that make vocalist Joseph Hill sound like he's singing in the bathtub. In a word: crucial.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player