Various Artists King Britt Presents The Cosmic Lounge Volume 1
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: BBE-Rapster
Philadelphian King Britt is one of those rare musical figures known as much for taste-making as his own productions. He relies on the former for this remarkable collection, pulled from 30 years of free-jazz. In at attempt to connect African heritage in jazz through non-linear soundscapes, the opening spoken-word manifesto of Herbie Hancock's "Kawaida" sets the tone for the explosive guitars of Mtume, the native rhythms of Don Cherry, and the sweet chaos of Flora Purim. Doug & Jean Carn's closing, heartfelt "Naima" is an exquisite lullaby to quiet the storm. Make no mistake: This is a cosmic head trip if ever one existed-straight from the soul.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player