Various Artists Ladysmith Black Mambazo: The Chillout Sessions
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Rasa
Best known for acapella work, Ladysmith Black Mambazo (maybe South Africa's best-known musical export) lets remixers add mellow instrumentation to the group's beautifully harmonized male voices. These efforts work best when the remixers go along with the LBM's natural warmth, as on "Woza Ngihambe Nawe," which, so help me, sounds like sunshine. But some tracks try too hard to fit into different molds, as with "Inkanyezi Nezazi," which sounds weirdly like Enigma's melodramatic "Sadeness (Part 1)." Still, despite the uneven results, the excellent starting material insures a laid-back album worth more than a few listens.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player