Various Artists Lali Puna: I Thought I Was Over That (Rare, Remixed and B-Sides)
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Morr Music
The music of Munich‘s Lali Puna (featuring The Notwist‘s seemingly ubiquitous Markus Acher) is like being teased with a rabbit fur flogger: there‘s a snap to the Teutonically informed electro-pop, but any impact is far more supple than unsettling. And Lali Puna‘s last album, Faking The Books, was a real looker. So can you improve on the chirping goodness? No. But artists including Bomb The Bass (a skulking highlight), Boom Bip, Two Lone Swordsmen (crunchy), Sixtoo, Alias, Dntel (another, bouncier highlight), and To Rococo Rot reinterpret the songs as melodic lopes both rubbery and rigid, at times dubby and others blunted. Throw in a smattering of jittery b-sides ("40 Days" and "Together in Electric Dreams" being tops) and purring, Lali Puna-composed remixes (for Boom Bip, Dntel, the Swordsmen) and you‘ve got a collection of pleasantly dawdling vignettes-not as vivacious as the steady jangle of Faking The Books, but worth a flick or three.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player