Various Artists Mad Professor: Method to the Madness
- Words: David Ma
- Label: Sanctuary-Ariwa
Neil Fraser, the legendary British dubmaster known as The Mad Professor, started with a four-track setup in his living room circa 1979. With decades of experience under his belt, it‘s not surprising that the double-disc set Method To The Madness is a comprehensive listen. Split into one disc of his Ariwa label‘s classics and a second disc of Mad Prof pop remixes, you get a clear impact of how his madness spread from reggae into other genres. Although it boasts names such as Perry Farrell, Massive Attack, and Jamiroquai, it‘s the lesser-known artists that are this compilation‘s true gems. Songs like Sandra Cross‘ wistful digital roots tune "Country Living" reflect the insightfulness that has made Fraser a dub icon.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player