Various Artists Merck Mix 3
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Merck
It is one thing to plagiarize another artist, it‘s another to improve said artist‘s ideas. Mediocre Autechre and Prefuse 73 imitators still trying to figure out Max/MSP abound, but there are musicians who enliven those mavericks‘ sketches into graffiti murals that stretch for blocks. Miami glitch-hop label Merck carries such aerosol cans. Merck Mix 3 amasses the label‘s roster, delivering beats that crack bones with every step as electro-funk melodies scatter like hummingbirds. Too many sublime moments are interrupted, like the post-Neptunes bounce of Aphilas‘ "Collective Memory Loss" and Ilkae‘s narcotic Tokyo lounge in "Scarlet." Otherwise, the disorientation pleases.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player