Various Artists Merck Mix 3
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Merck
It is one thing to plagiarize another artist, it‘s another to improve said artist‘s ideas. Mediocre Autechre and Prefuse 73 imitators still trying to figure out Max/MSP abound, but there are musicians who enliven those mavericks‘ sketches into graffiti murals that stretch for blocks. Miami glitch-hop label Merck carries such aerosol cans. Merck Mix 3 amasses the label‘s roster, delivering beats that crack bones with every step as electro-funk melodies scatter like hummingbirds. Too many sublime moments are interrupted, like the post-Neptunes bounce of Aphilas‘ "Collective Memory Loss" and Ilkae‘s narcotic Tokyo lounge in "Scarlet." Otherwise, the disorientation pleases.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player