Various Artists Miss Kitten Presents: Radio Caroline Volume 1
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Mental Groove
"I will never stop dancing," declares Ms Kittin (a.k.a. Caroline Herve) midway through her first widely available mix-CD, "How can you be a DJ if you don't shake your ass in the middle of the crowd?" This collection seems intended to subtly recalibrate our expectations of the French DJ and vocalist: Kittin's breathy vocals have previously decorated electroclash records by the Hacker and Felix Da Housecat, but on this release, she looks to funky electro, minimalist house and abstract techno from the likes of Delarosa & Asora, Autechre, Kinesthesia and Panasonic for her kicks. Radio Caroline Volume 1 affirms the mix compilation as manifesto and autobiography as well as archival artefact. For the most part, it's an absorbing mix. Ironically, Kittin's attempt to assert her personality by adding commentary to her selection of tracks occasionally breaks the spell.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player