Various Artists Mosh Moshi-Nu Sounds From Japan
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: Fueg
Japanese releases are often extortionately expensive and extremely rare in the West. Nik Weston, an infamous collector and promoter of Asian electronic music, has come to the aid of the listening public with this collection. The 'Soljazz instrumental' of the gorgeously named Gagle's "Practise & Tactix" is stylish jazz-hop, with a distressed string workout, disjointed rough-and-ready percussion and an overzealous reverbed bass. Osunlade uses a heart-stopping piano, saddened vocals that recognize the truth and fly-away strings to produce a melancholic reinterpretation of UFO's "Listen Love." Calm supplies the emotive "De-tuned Atmosphere" which combines an intriguing flute, emphatic beaten percussion, a transporting synth and teary-eyed keys. Ken Ishii's "Awakening" is initially a surprising choice, but one listen to the rushing keys, backwards acid keyboard work and hot-footed percussion make everything crystal clear. This is just the tip of a colossal musical iceberg.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player