Various Artists Normoton Gold
- Words: Ross Holland
- Label: Normoton
Celebrating their 25th release, Normoton's label head Klaus Burkard pulled together a pretty solid representation of his sound, a disparate offering of house, ambient, techno, and electro. The problem here lies not necessarily in stylistic variation (plenty of great labels dabble in all of these genres), but in the varied musical success of each track. That is to say, some of this is fantastic, and some is garbage. The varied forms of techno (minimal, tech-house) work best here: Strassmann and Landesvatter each make gorgeous tracks that recall late-night train rides and smoky, underground dance hideouts. Unfortunately, the rest of this compilation is spotty at best.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player