Various Artists Nortec Collective: Tijuana Sessions Vol. 3
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Nacional Records
Imagine you‘re driving through a windswept California desert, listening to the radio in your beat-up pickup truck; suddenly, all the stations blur together into one massive mess of melodies and samples. That‘s the sound of the Nortec Collective, a crew of musicians that skillfully blends modern electronic music with traditional Mexican music. On their second full-length (they skipped volume two), they avoid performing a shotgun wedding between genres. Thumping tubas, echoing brass and buoyant Latin percussion feel like organic parts of their laid-back grooves, not grafted-on afterthoughts. If you like Latin beats, you‘ll find this album spot on (think El Mariachi with a sampler).
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- MP3Son of Sun "Feel Like I Feel (John Daly Remix)"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player