Various Artists Palmbeats Vol. One
- Words: Stacy Meyn
- Label: Palm Beats
Island Records point man Chris Blackwell got the word out on worldbeat before it was nifty. His Palm Pictures offshoot incorporated electronic artists, and now Palm Beats merges old masters with new mixers. Volume One revels in all the requisite Latin, dub, Afro-folk, jazz, funk and leftfield styles. Island OGs Sly & Robbie check in from Jamaica, along with Columbia's Sidestepper, Brazil's Da Lata, Mexico's Nortec Collective and Senegalese griot Baaba Maal. The remix crew is notably less diverse, but no less talented, comprising UK beatmasters like Phil Asher, Ashley Beedle and Bugz in the Attic, among others. It's on a low pricepoint, so not only do you get the best of both worlds, but also a bargain.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player