Various Artists Palmbeats Vol. One
- Words: Stacy Meyn
- Label: Palm Beats
Island Records point man Chris Blackwell got the word out on worldbeat before it was nifty. His Palm Pictures offshoot incorporated electronic artists, and now Palm Beats merges old masters with new mixers. Volume One revels in all the requisite Latin, dub, Afro-folk, jazz, funk and leftfield styles. Island OGs Sly & Robbie check in from Jamaica, along with Columbia's Sidestepper, Brazil's Da Lata, Mexico's Nortec Collective and Senegalese griot Baaba Maal. The remix crew is notably less diverse, but no less talented, comprising UK beatmasters like Phil Asher, Ashley Beedle and Bugz in the Attic, among others. It's on a low pricepoint, so not only do you get the best of both worlds, but also a bargain.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player