Various Artists Pancadao Do Morro: Funk Do Flamin’ Hotz, Ja E?
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Flamin’ Hotz
Over the last two decades, Brazil’s baile funk has been going through the same assimilation process that the now-ubiquitous forms of tango, fado, and hip-hop went through years before. Reared in lower-class favelas, it is often criticized for its explicit sexual undertones, in both lyrics and dance styles. Yet in that community, and the international club scene that has embraced it, baile funk is one of the hottest sounds going. This 23-song collection assembles tracks that incorporate old-school MPC beats and party anthems akin to the most memorable NYC hip-hop–the genre it’s most often associated with. The choppiness and videogame effects are part of the charm, but the substance is in the bass.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player