Various Artists Pancadao Do Morro: Funk Do Flamin’ Hotz, Ja E?
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Flamin’ Hotz
Over the last two decades, Brazil’s baile funk has been going through the same assimilation process that the now-ubiquitous forms of tango, fado, and hip-hop went through years before. Reared in lower-class favelas, it is often criticized for its explicit sexual undertones, in both lyrics and dance styles. Yet in that community, and the international club scene that has embraced it, baile funk is one of the hottest sounds going. This 23-song collection assembles tracks that incorporate old-school MPC beats and party anthems akin to the most memorable NYC hip-hop–the genre it’s most often associated with. The choppiness and videogame effects are part of the charm, but the substance is in the bass.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player