Various Artists Pop Ambient 2010
Even though it's a decade old, Kompakt's ambient franchise still manages to sound fresh, avoiding a tragic shift towards becoming hipster spa music or a Pure Moods for the techno set. While the template and talent has varied, the key is making sure that pop remains an important part of the equation. A melancholy-yet-romantic vibe stains the playful melodies and atmospheric bliss of this year's installment, whether it's the wispy, mandolin-like notes of Wolfgang Voigt's "Zither Und Horn," BVDUB's 17-minute closing track, or Triola's "Schildergasse," the sound of an M83 crescendo on valium. Much like "The Sound of One Lip Kissing" by Marsen Jules, where clusters of notes gracefully collide and decay in time, each song is filled with sweet harmonies and slow-motion swells.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
XLR8R Downloads Player