Various Artists Putumayo Presents Mali
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: Putumayo
Let‘s just admit that-with its slogan "Guaranteed to make you feel good!"-Putumayo isn‘t exactly synonymous with street cred. Most of this album is exactly what you‘d expect: a lilting major chord fest with shaker percussion. However, the group Tinariwen, formed by Tuareg nomads living in Libyan refugee camps and fighting against Mali‘s government, has all the mattress-spring percussive force of early Wilson Pickett. In one of the album‘s more surprising moments, Issa Bagayogo-a traditional lute player with an incredible voice-contributes a club hit describing how hospitals need to take good care of the sick-backed by a surging discotheque beat.
- MP3GL "Won't You See (Gerd Janson Dub Mix)"
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- NewsLeon Vynehall Shares Mesmerizing New Video, Announces North American Tour
- NewsGhostly Artists Soundtrack Upcoming Videogame; Hear New Tracks from Shigeto, Matthew Dear, and More
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player