Various Artists The Raid: A Trip Into the Vault of Fort Knox Recordings and Jalapno Records
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Jalapeno
In the case of these two compilations of funky breaks, the vault is probably a hard drive, since the featured producers aren‘t funk-era artifacts. But even though the artists here are recording today, current trends don‘t figure prominently. From the carnival-organ cut "Rastarollarink" to the psychedelic raga remix of "Man of Constant Sorrows" to the Norman Cook-channeling "Nitty Gritty," the theme is fun, catchy-and sometimes cheesy-beats. A diva gets fresh on "Now I‘m Livin‘ for Me," but that‘s about as serious as it gets. The good times may get old, but The Raid remains more entertaining than many albums that try to be serious and fail.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player