Various Artists The Raid: A Trip Into the Vault of Fort Knox Recordings and Jalapno Records
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Jalapeno
In the case of these two compilations of funky breaks, the vault is probably a hard drive, since the featured producers aren‘t funk-era artifacts. But even though the artists here are recording today, current trends don‘t figure prominently. From the carnival-organ cut "Rastarollarink" to the psychedelic raga remix of "Man of Constant Sorrows" to the Norman Cook-channeling "Nitty Gritty," the theme is fun, catchy-and sometimes cheesy-beats. A diva gets fresh on "Now I‘m Livin‘ for Me," but that‘s about as serious as it gets. The good times may get old, but The Raid remains more entertaining than many albums that try to be serious and fail.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsMachinedrum Readies New Album for Ninja Tune
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player