Various Artists [Re:Jazz]
- Words: Jon Freer
- Label: INFRACom!
Some labels reach 100 and uninspiringly raid their back catalog for classic cuts, while other imprints get their artists to supply "exclusive" tracks that don't always do justice to the achievement. Germany's INFRACom! have employed the Matthias Vogt trio and friends to re-arrange 13 of the label's moments in an acoustic jazz style. Aromabar's "Cupid and Orlando" is sent on a fast-paced swinging drum mission, with an astonishingly skilful sax and romantic narrating vocals. "People Come Running," originally by Taxi, waits and relaxes, courtesy of some theatrical keys, melancholic vocals and a mellow flugelhorn. DJ Matt's "The Way I Swing" is stripped down to an elegant piano, cushiony percussion and an encouraging bass. Why "re:jazz"? Jazz happens to be the essence of INFRACom!'s musical inspiration, and this idea of "re-jazzing" makes perfect sense.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player