Various Artists Richie Hawtin: DE9-Transitions
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Novamute
Following up 2001‘s standard-setting microedit showcase Closer to the Edit, Berlin-based and Canadian-bred techno producer Richie Hawtin‘s latest is an immersive affair where breath is paid as much attention to as breadth. Using Ableton Live and ProTools, Hawtin cobbles isolated gradients of up to six simultaneous tracks by Ricardo Villalobos, Stewart Walker, Carl Craig, Baby Ford, Underground Resistance, Plastikman, Detroit Grand Pubahs, Luciano, Mathew Dear, Daniel Bell, and False, among countless others. The gently jacking CD is as hypnotic as it is diaphanous yet holds nothing to the 96-minute DVD, voluminous in 5.1 and providing a visual illustration of the sources‘ stitching. Transitions is essential technology.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player