Various Artists Richie Hawtin: DE9-Transitions
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Novamute
Following up 2001‘s standard-setting microedit showcase Closer to the Edit, Berlin-based and Canadian-bred techno producer Richie Hawtin‘s latest is an immersive affair where breath is paid as much attention to as breadth. Using Ableton Live and ProTools, Hawtin cobbles isolated gradients of up to six simultaneous tracks by Ricardo Villalobos, Stewart Walker, Carl Craig, Baby Ford, Underground Resistance, Plastikman, Detroit Grand Pubahs, Luciano, Mathew Dear, Daniel Bell, and False, among countless others. The gently jacking CD is as hypnotic as it is diaphanous yet holds nothing to the 96-minute DVD, voluminous in 5.1 and providing a visual illustration of the sources‘ stitching. Transitions is essential technology.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
XLR8R Downloads Player