Various Artists Riddim Driven: Check It Back
- Words: Rob Geary
- Label: VP
Ricky "Mad Man" Myrie takes a successful stab at a rave-style riddim with Check It Back. He starts with sweet synthesizer chords, high-pitched tinklings and beguiling fake string swoops, then cuts in a strong, catchy bassline and funny, cartoon-like bubble noises. Where Lenky Marsden would have taken this rhythm into darker dub terrain (see Time Travel), Myrie keeps it major key and sunny so the rhythm lends itself equally well to love chat or battle talk. The lineup of vocalists is stellar, with Bounty Killer's take (the title track) turning it into an addictive, swinging sing-along.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player