Various Artists Riddim Rider Vol. 22: Old Pirate
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Jet Star
For this installment of the one-rhythm series, producer Harvel "Gadaffi" Smith-whose Summer Bounce and Sweat riddims have appeared on similar compilations-reworks Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" as an instrumental backing track for Sizzla, Capleton, and various up-and-coming reggae artists. The result is a tepid, monotonous affair that doesn't come close to the spirit of the original. Gadaffi's beat is bland, and sounds like a commercial produced for the Jamaica Tourism Board. Especially disappointing is Gyptian's effort, which sounds about as soulful as Michael Bolton impersonating Tuff Gong. Only Gadaffi's next generation (I-Kay, Mystic Man, Smoke, J-Lee) even comes close to catching the fire of Jamaica's beloved ambassador.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
XLR8R Downloads Player