Various Artists Riddim Rider Vol. 22: Old Pirate
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Jet Star
For this installment of the one-rhythm series, producer Harvel "Gadaffi" Smith-whose Summer Bounce and Sweat riddims have appeared on similar compilations-reworks Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" as an instrumental backing track for Sizzla, Capleton, and various up-and-coming reggae artists. The result is a tepid, monotonous affair that doesn't come close to the spirit of the original. Gadaffi's beat is bland, and sounds like a commercial produced for the Jamaica Tourism Board. Especially disappointing is Gyptian's effort, which sounds about as soulful as Michael Bolton impersonating Tuff Gong. Only Gadaffi's next generation (I-Kay, Mystic Man, Smoke, J-Lee) even comes close to catching the fire of Jamaica's beloved ambassador.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player