Various Artists Riddim Rider Vol. 22: Old Pirate
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Jet Star
For this installment of the one-rhythm series, producer Harvel "Gadaffi" Smith-whose Summer Bounce and Sweat riddims have appeared on similar compilations-reworks Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" as an instrumental backing track for Sizzla, Capleton, and various up-and-coming reggae artists. The result is a tepid, monotonous affair that doesn't come close to the spirit of the original. Gadaffi's beat is bland, and sounds like a commercial produced for the Jamaica Tourism Board. Especially disappointing is Gyptian's effort, which sounds about as soulful as Michael Bolton impersonating Tuff Gong. Only Gadaffi's next generation (I-Kay, Mystic Man, Smoke, J-Lee) even comes close to catching the fire of Jamaica's beloved ambassador.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player