Various Artists Riddim Rider Vol. 22: Old Pirate
- Words: James Mayo
- Label: Jet Star
For this installment of the one-rhythm series, producer Harvel "Gadaffi" Smith-whose Summer Bounce and Sweat riddims have appeared on similar compilations-reworks Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" as an instrumental backing track for Sizzla, Capleton, and various up-and-coming reggae artists. The result is a tepid, monotonous affair that doesn't come close to the spirit of the original. Gadaffi's beat is bland, and sounds like a commercial produced for the Jamaica Tourism Board. Especially disappointing is Gyptian's effort, which sounds about as soulful as Michael Bolton impersonating Tuff Gong. Only Gadaffi's next generation (I-Kay, Mystic Man, Smoke, J-Lee) even comes close to catching the fire of Jamaica's beloved ambassador.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player