Various Artists Roots of Dub Funk 3
- Words: Jesse Terry
- Label: Tanty
The third release from the UK's Dub Funk Association comes across in sort of a dark, Bill Laswell vein, wrapping your brain in hissing echoes while thick basslines punch you in the gut. A range of producers works on the tracks here, including the Version City Rockers, Jah Warrior, Alpha & Omega, and the Dub Funk Association themselves. Nearly every track showcases sparsely grooving drums in the style of King Tubby or Mad Professor, with delays, sliding faders and flighty horns. Don't be misled by the title; this is some very good straight-ahead dub reggae, but it's not really funky. Should please all you 420-friendly fans out there.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player