Various Artists Roy Davis Jr.: Get Large Vol. 1
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Large Music
On his first mix CD in six years, Chicago house don Roy Davis Jr. starts out squarely aiming for listeners‘ headphones instead of their hips. The BPMs still pump like pistons but Davis has distilled the occasionally harsh edges of four-on-the-floor funk into something as effervescent and fine as champagne. Drawing lines between retro-acid anthems (Kerri Chandler‘s "Return 2 Acid") and warm synths that recall the more streamlined, spiritual side of Detroit techno, Davis has created a subtle but flavorful set of songs. Though it lacks the bite of a stiff shot of amped-up house, Get Large is an audio cocktail that works well as a late-night chaser.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player