Various Artists Samba Sunset
- Words: Rachel Swan
- Label: Nettwerk
Listening to the beginning tracks on DJ Ray Velasquez's Samba Sunset, you'd think that only one type of chord (major seventh) and one type of beat (straight-ahead samba) were available to lounge musicians. Like the best elevator music, Calm's "Sitting on the Beach" and Fantastic Plastic Machine's "Whistle Song" are seductively linear, and the feelings they elicit are akin to watching porn with beautiful actors and no edge: delightful boredom. Fortunately, Soulstance's paean to Antonio Carlos and Louie Vega's "Mozalounge" stretch the genre by incorporating piano cadenzas and organ licks that are worth committing to memory.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player