Various Artists Scrath Attack Volume Two
- Words: Tamara Palmer
- Label: Hip Hop Slam
Bay Area public radio is an underappreciated treasure that takes the sting out of the failures of the commercial stations. Detractors of scratch DJing (perfected in the Bay) find it to be mere technical masturbation, and the Scratch Attack series provides a strong counterpoint (i.e. a middle finger) with technique, musicality and a healthy sense of humor. Scratch Attack had a brief run on local station KPFA as well as online, and will no doubt be echoed in future radio incarnations from hosts Billy Jam, Bas-1, DJ Pone and DJ Munkifunk. Presenting the best bits of these broadcasts works terrifically well in the recorded format.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player