Various Artists Shockout, Vol. 1
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Shockout
Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" almost sounds like a feel-good song that the U.S. Army could use to recruit the Trustafarian demographic. It's a far cry from this comp's toasters, who bark like guerrilla commanders ordering a palace siege. In the past year, Kid606's raggacore/fuckstep/mutant dancehall label released several 12-inchers now collected here. His noisenik compatriots like Com.A, DJ/Rupture and The Bug are paired with several toasters, but mostly the mighty Wayne Lonesome. Their DSP intensifies the spats and brawling rhythms. Elsewhere, Soundmurderer & SK-1 drain the clichÈ from the Amen break. Even though this bludgeoning can induce numbness in one sitting, Shockout is still a solid primer.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player