Various Artists Sly And Robbie's Taxi Sound
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Auralux
This collection selects prime tracks from the late '70s/early '80s, showcasing Lowell Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare in prime form. Classic cuts by Sugar Minott, Black Uhuru, and Gregory Isaacs make this set solid. What makes it exceptional, however, is Ini Kamoze's "World A Music," a stellar dubbed cut later sampled by Damian Marley for his "Welcome to Jamrock," and an eight-minute reworking of The Undisputed Truth's "Smiling Faces" by The Tamlins. And if these serious grooves aren‘t enough to draw you in, Sly & Robbie's quirky take on Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" should do the trick.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player