Various Artists Son Cubano NYC: Cuban Roots New York Spices 1972-82
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Honest Jons
The 12 tracks here were recorded when New York salsa was at a creative high point, from 1972-82. The result is an album full of strong horns and emotional Spanish vocals sure to draw comparison to the Buena Vista Social Club. But despite the horn players‘ chops (like trumpeter Chocolate‘s turn on "Chocolate En C7" and "Trumpet et Montuno") and the consistently excellent vocals, the album‘s real star is the percussion-these Afro-Latin rhythms are so insistent that even when Lita Branda sings about losing her love, you still want to dance to her heartbreak.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player