Various Artists Spectral Sound v.1
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: Spectral
As a home listening experience, the first disc of Spectral‘s label sampler is blandly repetitive-these cuts are clearly intended as tools to be placed in the hands of a DJ and used to good effect. Ryan Elliott ably illustrates this point on the second disc, where he remixes 33 tracks from the Ghostly subsidiary. While the unmixed tracks seem to go in endless circles, they gain a sense of direction in the context of Elliott‘s set, which makes beats more intricate by layering them, then sullying them with indecipherable vocal samples. Put together, Spectral Sound v.1 is an instructional jockey kit.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player