Various Artists Spectral Sound v.1
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: Spectral
As a home listening experience, the first disc of Spectral‘s label sampler is blandly repetitive-these cuts are clearly intended as tools to be placed in the hands of a DJ and used to good effect. Ryan Elliott ably illustrates this point on the second disc, where he remixes 33 tracks from the Ghostly subsidiary. While the unmixed tracks seem to go in endless circles, they gain a sense of direction in the context of Elliott‘s set, which makes beats more intricate by layering them, then sullying them with indecipherable vocal samples. Put together, Spectral Sound v.1 is an instructional jockey kit.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player