Various Artists Spire: Organ Works Past Present & Future
- Words: Alexis Georgopoulos
- Label: Touch
If the organ is most often associated with Gothic environs and baroque Christian arrangements, Touch has done a superb job at getting to the, erm, spirit of the instrument. Losing gratuitous ornamentation, the likes of Philip Jeck, Fennesz (with Sparklehorses's Scott Minor), Oren Ambarchi and Biosphere alternate between towering, overblown drones and celestial glissandos. And yet, despite losing such overt religious trappings, the instrument still can't help but suggest the all-powerful. Spire's well named, then.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player