Various Artists Split Series 9-16
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Fat Cat
The second Split Series release curates tracks from 16 sides of Fat Cat's 12" vinyl series, and it seems deliberately intended to disrupt expectations of the Brighton, UK-based imprint. Splinter Series is not so much a coherent statement of intent as a brainstorming session: a chance for ideas to be bandied about without any obligation to pursue them. Noise and abstraction feature prominently here, but the best tracks eschew glitch antagonism. Matmos creates mutant house music littered with splinters of unwanted R&B acappellas, Process finds extreme beauty in streamlined minimal house and, for the grand finale, Ultra Red amalgamates site recordings made during street protests against the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank into the floor-friendly "A16."
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player