Various Artists Studio X-2
- Words: John Dark
- Label: Good Looking
Studio X-2 is a gathering of the newest producers on LTJ Bukem's fabled Good Looking imprint. Yet it could easily be a gathering of old producers, because the airy, synthetic jazz & bass served up here hasn't changed much since Bukem pioneered the style in the mid-'90s. At best, these songs display clever tinkering with breakbeats (Alex DB's "Aurora Boreal," "Track 9"); at worst, this is smooth jazz hour at the local public library (Nu Moon's "Too Right" and Track 7). Thankfully, there's something that saves Studio X-2: six remixes at the end-from the likes of established producers Carlito, Danny C, and John B-add much-needed dancefloor weight by way of chunkier breaks and syrupy sub-bass.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player