Various Artists Studio X-2
- Words: John Dark
- Label: Good Looking
Studio X-2 is a gathering of the newest producers on LTJ Bukem's fabled Good Looking imprint. Yet it could easily be a gathering of old producers, because the airy, synthetic jazz & bass served up here hasn't changed much since Bukem pioneered the style in the mid-'90s. At best, these songs display clever tinkering with breakbeats (Alex DB's "Aurora Boreal," "Track 9"); at worst, this is smooth jazz hour at the local public library (Nu Moon's "Too Right" and Track 7). Thankfully, there's something that saves Studio X-2: six remixes at the end-from the likes of established producers Carlito, Danny C, and John B-add much-needed dancefloor weight by way of chunkier breaks and syrupy sub-bass.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player