Various Artists Teutonik Disaster
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Gomma
There's only so many times you can walk into a Lower East Side bar full of patrons clothed in jackets coated in one-inch badges, posturing in deftly worn Levi's, cheesecloth-thin vintage RUN-DMC tees, and perfectly askew trucker cap, waving to Casey Spooner, sipping Red Stripes and doing PCP with Ryan McGinley, and then knowingly call out each endlessly re-issued post-punk classic. Yes, we've all heard Yello, Laidback and Alexander Robotnik's classics played repeatedly. But what, you may ask, were the Germans up to during those important years of 1977-1983? Well, Deutsch duo Munk definitively answer that question here by overseeing this engaging compilation on their label of endlessly issued perfection, Gomma. While doubters may giggle at the sounds of the German language getting funky over some of the synth-heavy rhythm tracks, true believers in true good music will recognize this eye-opening vault for the goldmine it is.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player