Various Artists Themselves: The No Music Remixed
- Words: Vivian Host
- Label: Anticon
This remix album of The No Music by indie-hoppers Themselves (the pairing of Doseone and Jel) sounds like your grandpa after a particularly large Sunday dinner. It's full of gurgles and creaks, drums that sound like heart palpitations and bass sounds that come farting out of the speakers in artful patterns. What's nice is that it lacks the droning boom-bap that even the most oddball hip-hop can't step away from-Jel's breaks and Doseone's elliptical raps are swept into the sampler and redone into lo-fi guitar sauce, ear-splitting gabber, and Renaissance Fair glitch by such names as the Notwist, Hood and Hrvatski. Tasty, and sometimes tasteless.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player